Monday 11 January 2010

Evaluation - Part Two

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary tasks?

In all three of my products, the main product (teaser trailer) and both the ancillary tasks (poster and magazine front cover), all share the presence of the protagonist character. This is because I wanted to show obvious links between them all, as I feel they would work better together as promotional material.

Magazine front cover and teaser trailer

Looking at the mise-en-scene of the snap shot from the teaser trailer (top left), and the context and layout of the magazine front cover (right), there is a similarity such as sartorial codes. The teaser trailer has a pink duvet and the magazine front cover has Rashmeet wearing a pink scarf. This shows links to her innocents as a protagonist character and her in a personal view.

In the trailer, she has been presented as innocent but with a sinister look to her character. In the magazine front cover, I have presented her as a stereotype of my target audience. This is done through the use of sartorial codes as it presents her as an individual, making it feel as if we the readers are getting inside the stars life.

Overall I feel that the combination of both the trailer and the magazine front cover work well together. As the magazine itself would be another way to promote the film when it comes nearer to the release of the film. Although, teaser trailers are shown a few months in advanced, making it harder for the audience to remember the film. But on the other hand, it could be a reminder of the film, which could create a wider audience through word of mouth.

Poster and teaser trailer

In both the poster and the teaser trailer, I have used and challenged the conventions of a psychological horror. This is shown through the use of complementary colours, black and white. the dark colours merging with the light, connoting how darkness is taking over innocence, as the halo around the bed is too dark to symbolise purity. I have used the bed as my main image on the poster, which is shown in the trailer through a pan shot. The bed used here, as she has dreams, can do the least harm to anyone. I have subverted the ideology of the bed by using binary opposites, where the most innocent of things can be dangerous.

Looking closely at both the trailer clip and the poster, they show the same scene. As both are more closely related to the film itself, I thought that by using similar images the audience would be able to connect the both, making advertising easy. I have used the same style of text for the tagline on my poster, as I have used throughout the teaser trailer.

Thematic - The genre is expressed through a serier of familiar character types and conflicts, moral narrative (ideologies), and an approach grown out of the socio-historic. Looking back at my research on teaser trailers, and psychological horror trailers, there have been many characterisitics that have become part of the traditional representation of the genre. I have also used these conventions, such as use of narrative to tell the story, as it narrates what the film is to explore. The idea is then developed throughout the teaser trailer, by showing conflict through the use of editing (transitions), and length of the shot.

Iconography and visual imagery - The genre is explored and shown through the mise-en-scene, icons and symbols, and visual conventions. "Behind this approach is the argument that in film genre it is logical to look for defining characteristics in the visual imagery, in 'what we see on the screen'." (D. Pye). I feel that both my teaser trailer and poster share elements of this genre theory. I have used the so called typical conventions of a horror, making it easy for my audience to identify the genre. These typical conventions include: use of colour-mainly black and shadows, use of camera shot/movement/angle-mainly handheld and closeups. The protagonist is reperesented as issolated in the poster, whereas in the trailer she is shown as she being part of the others by her issolation in her dreams.

DISTRIBUTION - Both poster and teaser trailer will be distributed to their audience in similar ways. Two ways in which I will be able to reach my target audience is through the Internet (active audience) and at the cinema. Web 2.0 has increased Internet usage of my target group, as it is at the audience convenience, they are able to do what they want when they want. The teaser trailer and poster of "Sweet Dreams" can be found on the Internet. Places in which it would be found is on msn news and hotmail homepage. In particular the msn news is were I will be able to reach the majority of my target audience, as they tend to use it every day as means off communication. In hope of this promotion through the Internet, my teaser trailer will further be promoted through word of mouth. Posters will be displayed on walls in the cinema, making it noticeable. Along with this the teaser trailer will also be shown before a film is about to start. This makes people aware of the up coming films that may be at their interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment